When I eat out I want it to be special, consequently I don?t eat out often. You may have seen the advice on how to shave calories at restaurants but really, do you need to pay high restaurant prices for undressed salads and plain steamed vegetables? If not, how then can you solve the dilemma of too many calories when you eat out?
Here are seven tips for getting the calories out of restaurant meals while still ordering your favorites.
1. Say NO to super sizing. The size you ordered has already been too large. Stop super sizing and you also?ll save money. Better still, order one dinner and have for an extra plate. Many restaurants can do this for a dollar or two, and it?s really worth it. Then share the meal together with your friend and you split the price straight down the middle. Another option would be to order from the so called ?appetizer? menu. Two different people could order three entrees, one dessert and split the whole thing and it?s still a huge amount of food!
2. Skip the bread and rolls. Many family restaurants still serve a bread basket with your meal. Unless it?s a brand new baked loaf or some really special bread, just skip it. You don?t have to fill up on ordinary bread once you?re paying good money for meals. Just ask for it to be studied away if you can?t resist, but frankly, you?re an adult, you can resist, to be able to. You can simply choose never to put a roll on your own plate. Try it, only once and see in the event that you don?t walk out of this restaurant feeling strangely powerful.
If purima can?t skip the rolls, at least skip the butter. That?s right. Eat it plain. Whole grain bread is delicious simply by itself.
3. Stop Ordering Drinks. Carbonated drinks certainly are a huge cash cow for restaurants. For pennies they sell you a squirt of syrup and carbonated water and become they?re doing you a big favor by only charging you $1.29 for a giant 64 ounce soda. Start saving those dollars. Particularly if you?re ordering ?to go? skip the drink. If you?re consuming it there, require water, or at the very least switch to diet drinks. Never drink ?fat pop.?
4. Slow Down You Eat Too Fast! What?s the rush? Take your time, savor the moment, benefit from the flavors. A big part of phoning your hunger signals and learning to eat what really will satisfy is learning to recognize the subtle signs of hunger. You won?t know once you?re approaching satisfaction if you?ve gobbled everything down in 5 minutes. Take a bite then notice how many times do you chew before you begin wanting to swallow? Once, twice? Make an effort to chew your food as well as your body will be notably happier. A very large part of digestion begins in the mouth area, not to mention you?ll get a lot more pleasure if you let the food linger.
5. Trim Visible Fat and Skin. I understand, you really love the skin?needless to say you do, it tastes good, it will, it?s pure fat. Do you want to get leaner, or would you like to eat fat? You choose. I never eat chicken skin and never eat the visible fat hanging off a steak, good taste or no. You must decide what you want more, the next?s worth of pleasure of a yummy taste, or perhaps a lifetime of carrying around a supplementary 40 lbs? I know that is counter to the low carb crowd?s belief that fat is good, carbs are evil, but I?ve maintained an 80 pound weight loss for 18 years without dieting and I don?t eat visible fat or skin. Enough said.
6. Ask for a Doggie Bag at the start of Meal. Once the food is served, immediately portion off some to take home for tomorrow. Most restaurants in america serve way too much. There is absolutely no law you must eat it all. Do that frequently and soon you?ll find you?re getting a supplementary lunch out of that meal.
7. Get a copy of Restaurant Confidential by Michael F. Jacobson and Jayne Hurley, and start checking out how many calories you?re really eating. If you eat out frequently and you also carry additional weight, then that?s most likely the problem there. This little book can help you realize why it appears you don?t eat that much yet you can?t lose any weight. Hardees recently introduced a new burger that clocks in at only under 1200 calories all by itself! Now that?s frightening.
If you actually want to get a handle on your weight problem, look first to where you eat, second at what you eat, and third how much you take in. Where, What and How Much? Try these steps choosing one tip at the same time, and see how easily it is possible to take a number of the calories out of restaurant food.